Sunday 31 July 2011

Saturdays - Organized Chaos

Saturdays...the craziest days of the week in our home.  In a house with four kids, what day isn't crazy?  I believe the theory that things happen the way they do on Saturdays to make us want to stay in bed on Sundays.  I used to believe that Sundays were the hardest day of the week to get moving - when for two consecutive weeks we went out to discover flat tires and then our dummy tire went flat while we were in church.  Those things didn't keep us home so the chaos started on Saturday nights, just to try and wear us down!

So yesterday afternoon, around three p.m. I decided to make my family a homemade vegetarian pizza and garlic fingers with whole wheat crust, it was also around that time that my husband decided to go down into the rec room and immerse himself in Turbo Jam (he's lost nearly 20lbs already, very proud of him!).  So that leaves the dilemma, who will watch the princess?  Being the eldest, Logan always gets nominated for these types of jobs.  He's an amazing older brother and really loves spending quality time with his siblings. 

While they were bonding, I left the kitchen to tend to some other 'to do's' on my list.  I listened to them laughing and smiled to myself...although it was a short lived smile.  You see, I overheard "Elizabeth, you're such a pot head!" Well, it's one of those moments when, in your mind you've already decided the reasoning behind such a statement - he'd obviously been watching shows on television that we didn't approve of.  I was uspet and made my way to the kitchen to let him know that in our house we don't call people names at all, let alone names with reference to drugs.  Yes, I had it all planned in less than ten seconds.

When I rounded the corner into the kitchen, there sat my sweet miracle baby with the smallest pot on her head - laughing hysterically at her brother who was wearing the largest one on his head to make her smile.  It wasn't what I thought at all, he wasn't making reference to drugs, just cooking pots.

In life we're quick to do that.  We hear something about someone or about some situation and we figure it all out in our heads, with little or no facts. Then we allow our misguided opinions to dictate how we treat the person or behave in the situation.   This is why we should be slow to speak and quick to listen.  Not quickly angered but longsuffering.  How many realationships have been ruined because a small bit of a conversation is heard, and with no investigation, one of the involved persons decideds to walk away, bitter.  There are probably many more scenarios you can think of.

I'm just glad that I got to see that Logan was really doing something wonderful for his sister, before I scolded him - for something he didn't intend.  I find that watching my children, I can get some really good application of scripture in my life.  They're always bringing things to life for me!  After that, the four of them emptied every pot, pan and metal bowl from the cupboard and played drums on them using wooden spoons for sticks...that was Saturday night entertainment at the Williams house!

On an end note - my husband hit the wall last night, literally.  He was coming down the hall in the dark and missed the door opening and hit the molding around the door, cut his eye brow and everything.  That was a little too much excitement for two a.m.  He hit the wall, I hit the floor...

1 comment:

  1. Just think Christianne, if you hadn't been a Mommy who disapproved of name calling, you would not have gone down to see what was going on and would have missed this precious moment! How cute...and where was the camera, BTW?(That's my standard question for Cathy) :D
    Never a dull moment in a house full of love and kids! :)

    Hope the injuries are all healing! Sound painful!

    ReplyDelete